8 Weeks to Optimum Health Short Summary
Dr. Andrew Weil believes the key to health lies in making small, consistent changes to the way you live. Instead of strict diets and grueling fitness routines, which often fail because they require
radical upheavals, he suggests incorporating simple changes that gradually build upon each other to make you healthier and happier.
8 Weeks to Optimum Health Key Takeaways
Each week is broken down into an outline and a more detailed plan with recipes and commentaries. Once you have begun a diet or exercise habit, continue it or build upon it throughout the entire eight-week course. Here are a few pointers from each week:
– Clear out your fridge and pantry by getting rid of all unhealthy foods.
– Eat broccoli two times this week.
– Eat fish high in Omega-3’s, like salmon, one time this week.
– Take a vitamin C supplement twice a day.
– Walk for ten minutes five days out of the week, or add this to your current exercise regimen. Increase by 5 minutes every week until the sixth week.
– Observe your breathing for five minutes every day.
– Place some flowers in your home to lift your spirits.
– Eat more whole grains.
– Eat one soybean product.
– Drink green tea.
– Supplement your diet with mixed carotines.
– Abstain from watching, listening to, or reading the news for one full day.
– Buy organic fruits and vegetables, and eat one extra serving of each this week.
– Up your intake of fish to two times this week.
– Substitute a soy product for a meat product once this week.
– Take a vitamin E and a selenium supplement.
– Add stretching to your exercise regimen.
– Start reading an inspirational book.
– Spend time with a friend or relative who makes you happy.
– Examine your bed if you are not sleeping well and see if you can fix the problem.
– Incorporate garlic into your diet.
– Substitute a soy product for a meat product twice this week.
– Abstain from the news for two days.
– Take a moment to be thankful for your food before eating.
– Use a sauna for 20 minutes.
– Add ginger to your diet.
– Abstain from the news for three days.
– Listen to music that inspires you.
– Try a one-day fruit fast where you only eat fruit.
– Eat cooked, leafy greens.
– Abstain from the news for four days.
– Go to an art museum.
– Try a one-day juice fast.
– Volunteer somewhere to help someone who needs it.
– Walk for forty minutes for five days this week.
– Contact someone with whom you have lost touch.
– Formulate an ongoing plan to keep up your healthy, new lifestyle.
– Increase your walks to 45 minutes.
– Avoid the news for the entire week and evaluate how often you’d like to take in the news from now on.
– Try to forgive someone for a past transgression.
– Try a one-day water fast.
1. Start getting rid of all the unhealthy food in your house. If it’s not there, you can’t eat it!
2. Begin a light exercise regimen if you don’t already have one. If you do, add an extra 5 minutes of walking to it.
3. Follow the plan’s suggestions of eating broccoli, fish, and taking a vitamin C supplement.